I’m not sure why, especially since the product was just announced a couple months ago, but the Maker Shed currently has a super sale deal running for the Makerbot Digitizer. The standard list price of $1399.99 is discounted by 32% to $949.99 until New Years Eve.
The new scanner isn’t for everyone, as I mentioned in previous posts, but if you have the need to create 3D printable models from existing figurines or small items, this is a great deal.
One surprise that I wasn’t previously aware of is that the Makerbot Digitizer isn’t available for shipment to Japan, along with many other countries, due to restrictions on the laser used by the digitiser. Hopefully Makerbot will be able to sort that out soon.
- MakerBot Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner – Introduction Video
- World Maker Faire 2013: MakerBot Digitizer 3D Scanner
- Bre Pettis Responds to the Makerbot Going Closed Controversy
- MakerBot Announces New Scanner
- Debugging the MakerBot Replicator 2X